Summons served to me to put line on house for non payment of business,

I have been locked out of the business, they are partners at the same address, and I can’t get in to get any paperwork. They are planning on putting a 40,000.00 plus lien on my home to split. The business is incorporated and only my husband is an officer, not myself. I cannot get a lawyer, my husband moved in with another woman and is not paying any support (though court ordered) to us. I can not even defend this summons because the person suing works with my husband for the same business I was supposed to answer this summons by tomorrow but just got it 6/17. Court date is 7/6 Help!

Asked on June 28, 2009 under Business Law, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to hire a lawyer.  I am sorry if this is occurring but in New York, you can choose from thousands, who can work out payment plans with you.  Further, if your husband is not paying on a court order regarding support, he is in contempt and you need to go back to court regarding it.  It doesn't matter if you are locked out, the business can place on a lien on the house.  You need a lawyer to get you out of this and get you back into the home or something.

Try and check his or her record at the New York State State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.