What to do if a summons was improperly served and in the wrong county?

My ex-husband found a summons from a debt collector taped to his front door. It has my name on it, however, I have never lived there. He lives in another county. The debt collector’s address is in his county which makes it convenient for them. The date on the summons in dated one month before it was placed on his door. Which is a few days before the SOL was to run out. My ex emailed the summons to me. Do I have any recourse since the summons was not properly delivered and the court house is in the wrong county? Should file a motion to quash service?

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have described with respect to the summons and complaint taped to your ex-husband's front door addressed to you, the summon and complaint was improperly served upon you since you do not reside at the address where it was delivered coupled with the fact that the summons and complaint was not personally delivered or sub-served.

I suggest that you may want to consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to assist you and decide whether a motion to quash service may be appropriate for you based upon the facts of your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.