What to do about a subpoena that I received for bank documents?

I have just been served a subpoena for bank documents. The plaintiff is a credit card company. The debt is over 10 years old and no longer appears on my credit report. I cannot find any information regarding the debt. Should I contact the plaintiff’s lawyer and request documentation, including a signed agreement, before turning over any information? Is there a statute of limitations that I should be aware of? This is the first notice I have received and only have 3 weeks to comply.

Asked on July 20, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best thing for you to do is to consult with an attorney that practices civil litigation to assist you. If you are a defendant in the matter you are writing about, there is a good chance that the claim that is over ten (10) years old is time barred by your state's statute of limitations.

I suggest that if you do not have an attorney representing you that you contact the plaintiff's attorney for an agreement that whatever bank documents you provide that they are solely for the subject litigation and nothing else. In your response to the subpoena you should state that some of the requested documents are simply not in your possession, custody or control.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.