Regarding a transfer of a POA, what legal form is required to transfer my agent rights to my sister as alternate?

I currently am a POA agent for my father. My sister is named as an alternate in the POA should I be unwilling to act as agent. I no longer want to be a POA agent and my sister is willing to accept the POA agent responsibility.

Asked on October 24, 2013 under Estate Planning, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It is unclear if Michigan has a printed form that is specifically tailored for a resignation - which is what you need to do: resign - so if you just do so in writing and have it notarized it will suffice.  I would also suggest filing it with the county clerk so it is clear in the public records that you have done so.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.