Do I have rights to my ex-husband’s SS benefits?

Asked on August 3, 2015 under Family Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to collect on your ex-spouse's record if you qualify. You must: have been married to your ex-spouse for at least 10 years; be at least 62 years old; be currently unmarried; and not be eligible for an equal or higher benefit on your own or someone else's Social Security record.

The Social Security Administration has a website; here is a link thst you may find to be of help:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.