If a store quoted me a promotional interest rate for opening an account but my bill’s interest rate is different, should I be allowed to retun items?

I purchased my wedding gown and veil from a bridal shop after being told I can open an credit card account with 0% interest for 12 months. Bill received a month later says 0% for 6 months. Dress has not been worn yet. Manager says all sales are final but I have a written letter from them stating they made the error. I also have my credit card packet where the associate wrote down the false interest rate. Yet they will not give me a refund. What can I do? I want a full refund because the purchase was made with under an agreement not updeld by davids bridal.

Asked on June 5, 2012 under General Practice, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Rather than returning the gown that you bought due to the improper rate of interest quoted you versus what you are supposed to receive, you should keep the dress and insist that you are to receive the 0% interest on your purchase for the 12 months.

After all, you have a written letter from the seller stating there was an error on the interest rate given you. Under the law, you cannot return the dress for a full refund. However, you should receive the 0% interest rate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.