What to do if a stepmother will not show her stepchildren a copy of their recently deceased father’s Will?

Father said that he had left children some assets). Stepmother states that father put everything in her name before he died. If this is true (that he put everything in her name), then is there any recourse for the children?

Asked on February 25, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No recourse for the children??maybe, but you should still demand to see a copy of the will. If your father did leave a will,  then your mother has thirty days to deposit  the will with the court of the county in which your father died, and if she did not file the will with the court, then you can file a complaint with the dsistrict Attorney for a misdemeanor to be charged. The purpose of depositing the will with the court so you can see what the will says.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.