Statue of limitation on medical malpractice.

Back in 2012 my blood pressure was high. My husband took me to the ER where we live in Sidney, Nebraska. A PA took me off all my med’s except my blood pressure med. And, replaced them with different med’s. They were Anti-depressant, anxiety, pain and muscle relaxant. I went to see a doctor in Julesburg Colorado. Because my blood pressure was still running high. The doctor told me,husband,Son and Daughter that no one in the ER is not to suddenly take or replace any med’s especially in a ER. He told us that I could have died. I went through so much with having to see a mental health doctor. With trying to readjust med’s. I haven’t been the same since that all happened. I don’t know if it’s too late to do anything about it since it’s been 5 years.

Asked on May 26, 2017 under Malpractice Law, Nebraska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

In the indicated state (Nebraska; see, for example, Neb. Rev. Stat. Ann. Section25-222), the statute of limitations, or time within which you *must* initiate or file your lawsuit, is two years from the time of the alleged malpractice, or, IF it was something which could not have been discovered at the time, one year from when you did discover, or reasonably should have discovered, what happened. Based on what you write, if this occured 5 years ago, it would be too late to sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.