squatters rights in Louisiana for real estate

My sister moved into my mother’s home before she passed away 8/5/17. There is a
will being drawn up for succession of the property to divide it for 5 children
but my sister is claiming squatter’s rights. What can we do to sell the home?

Asked on September 5, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There are NO squater's rights in Louisiana. There is *adverse* possession which can very RARELY give someone ownership of property, but it requires at least a decade (10 years) of occupancy so that is not a factor here. Your sister has no right to stay. The executor of the will can hire a lawyer to bring a legal action (commonly called an action for "ejectment" at common law and in many states, but it may have a different name in your state) to remove her: "ejectment" is for non-tenants who are there without permission, like your sister. (Even if she may inherit, until the estate is settled and distributed, she has no right to be there, and the executor can remove her.) This action does not have to be expensive: in my state (NJ), you can commonly get it done for between $750 and $1,500 (which would be an estate expense: e.g. paid out of any estate bank account or money left by your mother), and I can't imagine LA is more more expensive in this regard than NJ. A landlord-tenant attorney should know how to do this: the executor can call some and get price quotes, then decide what to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.