What are my rights to spousal support?

My husband and I have been married for 4 years. He recently informed me that he has not loved me for 2 years and has no interest in working on our marriage; he wants to end it. I have been paying for family benefits for myself, my husband, and my step-daughter for the past 2 years. I don’t even bring home $600 month due to my payroll deductions for benefits. My husband is a self-employed general contractor and makes good money. He wants me to move out. Would I be considered a “gold digger” if I ask for him to pay off our car (only 1 year left on it) and to pay me $500 month spousal maintenance?

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Family Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Every situation is different; there is no way to provide an answer to your question based only on what you write. As a general rule, if one spouse earns more than the other and/or provides a majority of support for the family, he or she will likely have to pay support to the other spouse in the event of divorce. Also, any property or money accumulated during marriage will be divided or distributed between the spouses in some way. You should speak with a matrimonial or divorce law attorney about your specific case, to understand your rights and likely economic recovery.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.