Where canI get some basic legal advice on recieving spousal support?

I’m not sure how to initiate it. Whether I should go to a courthouse, county clerk, or see a lawyer. Whether I should file legal separation, or file for divorce. I married in 98. Separated in 08. Not receiving financial support from spouse. I am only making $400/month. He is making $2500-$3500./month. I have no money for legal counsel. What would be fastest way to start receiving spousal support by filing legal separation or divorce. I am going to divorce my spouse eventually but have not had the money at any given time.

Asked on July 22, 2010 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There are many centers that help women with divorce issues, including support, for free or very little money.  Try legal aid and try your local bar association. Ask for volunteer or "pro bono" programs.  In the meantime, you would be filing for temporary spousal support.  Spousal support in California is given ion a limited basis after the divorce and is probably not so freely given in your "limbo" situation either.  I am going to give you some links here to read up on the issue and then a link to helping your self and judicial centers that can help you in California.  Good luck.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.