If I was unable to serve my ex and now he’s left the state to start a new job, can his wages be

garnished if I have no way to find him other then his social security?

Asked on October 25, 2017 under Family Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

His wages can be garnished IF you can find him and his employer--to garnish his wages, you must be able to serve the appropriate paperwork on the employer. The state will not do this research for you to find him--you have to find him yourself and provide this information when you seek garnishment. There are some attorneys who are very good at this (at finding those who are trying to avoid their obligations and forcing them to pay): try consulting with some family law attorneys, who may do this in the course of helping cients collect alimony or child support. If you don't locate any who can help you, try attorneys who specialize in collections.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.