What to do about splitting a security deposit refund?

A couple rented my house and both are on the lease. They have since broken up and the guy has moved out of state prioir to lease end with no attempt to give me a forwarding address. She is working with me to terminate the lease early and wants me to send the security deposit to her only. Is this legal? The security deposit check was written by her from her independant account.

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you intent to end the lease early with your tenants and need to return a security deposit to them where they have split up their relationship, the best way to return the security deposit if warranted is to return it to the person who issued it in the first place which would be the female tenant in your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.