Can I get the ticket thrown out for a mistake or should I just pay it?

I got a speeding ticket last month. Upon returning home, I looked over my ticket and noticed he put my sex as male. I’m female. I was born a female. My license even says I’m female.

Asked on June 8, 2017 under General Practice, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

A clerical error such as this is not grounds for dismissing your ticket. These things happen all of the time. When you appear in court the mistake can be corrected. That having been said, this doesn't mean that you should not fight it on other grounds. A conviction will more than likley result in an increase in your insurance rates. Here is a link to an article that will explain further:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.