Son has student loans we are co-signors on 3. Can he file bankruptcy on the ones only he is on? Then we could pay on the other 3. (Minnesota)

Asked on June 25, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I would strongly urge you to contact a local attorney who specializes in bankruptcy. The reason for this is that the biggest issue you will face is that in general student loans are not discharged in bankruptcy unless you can show that your loan payment imposes an "undue hardship" on you, your family, and your dependents.

In truth it is almost impossible to show an undue hardship unless a person is physically unable to work and the chances of your obtaining any type of gainful employment in the future are non-existent.

If your son does want to discharge his loans under the undue hardship exception he must file a separate motion with the Court than appear before the judge to explain your hardship. This is not something easy to do so I strongly urge speaking with a local attorney. Review your sons overall situation and determine in this is the right avenue to pursue. because yes he can include those he is listed on alone as part of the petition but as I said they are not often discharged. Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.