son escaped from correctional facility. what will happen if he is caught vs he turns himself in?

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Criminal Law, Idaho


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Without more facts it's hard to say what will happen.  One thing that I can tell you is that it is always better to voluntarily turn yourself in than be brought in by the authorities. 

You should note, not only will he have to serve out his original sentence but there will also be additional time imposed for his escape.

Get an criminal attorney who practices in the area where all of this happened.  He'll know best just how to arrange for your son's turning himself in.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.