What to do if my son was charged with possession of a controlled substance?

My 15 year old son and 3 of his friends were at a public beach when a police officer came up to them. The officer found pot in a cigarette package on the ground near the boys. They were then taken to the police station. One of the boys admitted that the pot was his; none of the boys were read their Miranda rights. The parents were called to pick their children up and told that they would receive a summons for court in the mail. The boys are being charged with possession of a controlled substance. Can they be charge with this even though they were on a public beach?

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Criminal Law, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can be charged any where.  I would hire an attorney as soon as you can to deal with the matter.  If your son had no knowledge that the pot was in the cigarette package and one of the other children has admitted to the possession then you have bargaining power.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.