If my son and I were injured in house fire while living at my father’s, will insurance cover our injuries?

I was in coma for 3 weeks. My son received burns over his arms and face

resulting in horrible lifelong scaring and month long hospitalization and skin grafts.

Asked on September 24, 2018 under Personal Injury, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You should file separate personal injury claims for yourself and your son with your father's homeowner's insurance carrier.
Since the injuries occurred on the premises, the homeowner's insurance carrier should compensate you and your son for the medical bills, pain and suffering, which is an amount in addition to the medical bills based on the medical reports, and wage loss, if applicable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.