If someone was inappropriately touching my girlfriend on college campus grounds and was arrested but I threatened him, can I be in trouble?

She sent me a text and when I showed up I had a baton in his face and threatening him right before a campus safety officer diffused the situation. A city police officer came and arrested the man. The man is now charged with a Class A misdemeanor. I have to appear in court as a witness and I want to know if I could have charges against me because of what I said and the weapon I had and what I should prepare myself for when I go into court?

Asked on February 10, 2015 under Criminal Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you committed one or more crimes (depending on the exact circumstances and what they choose to charge you with) by threatening another person with a weapon: it could be terroristic threat, it could be a form of assault, etc. You should speak with a criminal defense attorney to prepare yourself, and *never* do this again. If someone does something illegal, like touching a woman you know without her consent, call the police, don't take matters into your own hands.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.