If someone was about to buy my car so we went for a test drive and he damaged it, can I make him pay for it?

The repair cost me $700.

Asked on February 27, 2015 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the driver of your car for negligence.  Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the $700 cost of repairs.

You can file your lawsuit in Small Claims Court.  In addition to the $700 property damage (cost of repairs to your car), you can also recover court costs which would include the court filing fee and process server fee.  If the driver does not pay the court judgment, you can enforce the judgment with a wage garnishment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.