If someone used my motorcycle knowing that I didn’t have insurance on it and got into a wreck, what is there responsibility?

They said that they would purchase the motorcycle from me for $3200 for wrecking it. When the police went to the hospital to talk to him, he said that he wasn’t driving it. A ticket was issued for not having insurance on the motorcycle but the field on the ticket that says who the ticket is being issued to was marked in as “unknown”. The total cost of the ticket, having the motorcycle towed, purchasing a “tow only” permit, and the amount of time that the motorcycle sat in the impound totaled out to be around $500.

Asked on July 17, 2015 under Accident Law, Louisiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

As the registered owner of the motorcycle, you are liable for the accident.

You can sue the driver of the motorcycle for negligence.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for negligence) would include the value of the motorcycle, the storage (impound) and towing fees including the tow permit.

Since you were the registered owner of the motorcycle, the driver is not liable for the ticket because the ticket was issued for not having insurance which is the responsibility of the owner.  

The reason the ticket for not having insurance was issued to "unknown" was that the police officer issuing the ticket did not know the name of the registered owner.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.