What to do if someone fails to pay restitution?

Someone rear-ended me and was sentenced to pay restitution 7 months ago. He paid 1 payment 6 months ago and I have not seen any money since. What can my next steps be? I called the restitution office and they said they would send out a warning letter

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If there is a restitution order in your favor arising from a criminal matter, it is for all intents and purposes a judgment that you can use to levy upon a person's assets or do a wage garnishment. Also, since the order for restitution arose out of a criminal proceeding, you can have an order to show cause regarding a contempt of a court order issued as well.

If you do not have much money to hire a debt collection attorney, I would wait for the warning letter from the restitution office as well as send your own demand letter giving a date certain for payment. If the person who owes you money is not responsive, then you may want to try collection efforts on the judgment owed you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.