If someone hit my car but was uninsured, what can I do?

The person hit my car while I was in a store. Luckily, they did not drive off and were really cooperative and gave me their information. Although the individual was not insured he had a license. I took photographs of the damage, which were quite minor (scratches on the right side of the car on both doors). I did not file a police report and there were no witnesses. What would be the best way to respond with this individual? They seem like they want to help sort the damages.

Asked on September 5, 2017 under Accident Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

First of all, make sure you report this accident to both the police and your insurance carrier. Then, you can make arrangements with this driver regarding paying for your damages. Otherwise, you can sue them in small claims court or even make a claim on your insurance policy if you have uninsured motorist coverage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.