What to do if someone has stolen my identity and is using it to work in the US?

I have reported to the IRS and other agency’s but now I found out this person has gotten a DWI and I am getting calls from the authorities saying I have a warrant for my arrest. My driver’s license has been revoked. I have tried calling the sheriff’s department but they there is nothing they can do unless I go up there and prove my identity. I am from out of state. I do not have the time and money to go out there. What else can I do? I am a auto technician and need my driver’s license to work.

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest the following options with respect to your identity theft issue:

1. contact the district attorney's office in the county and state where the DUI offense occured as to the person who stole your identity to see what can be done;

2. contact a consumer law attorney in your community to see what can be done as to the situation;

3. contact the attorney general's offices in the state as to where the DUI happened as well as your state to see what can be done for you.

4. retain a private investigator to track down the person who stole your identity and go from there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.