If someone fell on me during a yoga class and broke my knee which required surgery, can I get their insurer to pay for my non-insured costs and loss of income?

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Personal Injury, New Jersey


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The answer to this question depends upon the type of insurance they have and what their policy provides.  I have been involved in cases where a homeowner's policy has covered incidents similar to this.  Whether or not this individual's policy is willing to accept this injury as a valid claim depends on the policy and the provisions of the policy.  Some homeowner's policies require that a policy holder be acting in a negligent or reckless manner for policy coverage to kick in.  Without being able to review the actual policy in question, it is not possible to give you an answer.  I would suggest you contact a personal injury attorney in your area and seek a consultation.  He or she will be able to hear all of the facts of your case, look at possible coverage and give you a more fully informed opinion with respect to your options.  Good luck to you.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.