What to do if someone anonymously sent a letter to the corporate offices of my employer stating that I forcibly raped them and stalked them for years afterward?

No details on date, time, place were given in the letter. I’ve never met the person (cyber bully) who I think did this. What legally, can I do?

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Personal Injury, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you can identify the person, you would very likely have one or more causes of action against him or her: e.g. for defamation, for tortious interference with a business relationship (your employment), for harassment, etc. The person could also be subject to criminal liability, potentially.

The problem is, if you can't identify them, you can't do anything. You say they are a cyber bully--if the social media sites, web hosting services, etc. on which he or she is doing this will not voluntarily provide information identifying the person after you tell them of this harassment (if you haven't asked yet, you should), it may be possible to bring a legal action to force them to release it; it would be worthwhile discussing this possibility in person with an attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.