If I sold a car and theedother person has failed to make payments so I have been awarded judgement, how do i get collect?

Asked on January 18, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Virginia


Darren Delafield / Darren Delafield

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you have a judgment from a Virginia court, and the debtor lives in Virginia, you can use collection techniques authorized by the Virginia Code. Virginia allows you to garnish a bank account or garnish a pay check. Virginia allows you to send the Sheriff to levy upon luzury goods. The Sheriff will then conduct a Sheriff sale of the seized goods. You cannot do the above if the debtor has filed a bankruptcy petition. There are limitations; therefore, you likely need the assistance of an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.