What to do if 3 days ago I was in a house where a cocaine bust occured and they found a small amount of weed in my pocket and now the police want to question me?

They took down my information and said they’ll contact me later but I “should be fine.” Now they have just set up a public meeting (gas station) and I would like to know what questions they will likely ask and if I should secretly record the conversation?

Asked on November 3, 2015 under Criminal Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Anytime criminal charges are potentially involved, a person should have legal counsel. This is particularly true any time that the police want to question that person. No one should speak to them without having an attorney present, no matter where the questioning takes place (even if the police show up at their home).
In light of the above, the fact is that no matter how innocent you may be, you could inadvertently say something potentially incriminating about yourself or another. Remember, the police are trained interogator. Frankly, it's time that you consult directly with a criminal law attorney. They can go over the details of your situation and best advise you further as to your rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.