What can I do if my friend is getting a divorce and the ex-husband wants to subpoena me because I was drinking at a party and the ex-wife was driving me?

I am underage and testifying might incriminate me. Can I plead the 5th and, if so, is there a way to do it without giving the court a reason to doubt the ex-wife?

Asked on November 26, 2015 under Family Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can "plead the 5th" only while actually testifying--it's not grounds to not appear. You have to assert this right queation by question. And you can only assert it against those specific questions that would implicate you of a crime, like underage drinking. So you could refuse to answer about whether you drank...but would have to answer about being at the party or the wife driving you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.