Can anything be legally done about smoke inhalation at work?

I work at a movie theater and the popcorn popper emits smoke into our faces and we breathe it in. We have asked the general manager multiple times what can be done but she gets angry and tells us to deal with it. The busier we are, the more smoke pours out. It makes us cough and triggers asthma and heartburn.

Asked on September 11, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to contact OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) to file a complaint against your employer for the hazardous condition which endangers your health.  Your employer is prohibited from retaliating against you for filing a complaint with OSHA.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.