Small estate

My mother died a year and half ago

she had no will. It is just me and my

brother can we file a small estate

petition instead of going through


Asked on May 10, 2016 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Most states have a legal process for avoiding the time and expense of formal probate in the case of when somone dies with few to no assets of value. The requirements for this vary from state-to-state. Here is a link to a site that will explain the AZ procedure for this:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.