If I wanted to take someone to small claims court over car damage caused by a minor with a scooter hitting my vehicle, what type of evidence would be needed?

What should I expect?

Asked on July 26, 2015 under Accident Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You need a couple of different components of evidence.  The first is causation.  This means that you have to prove who did what and what did that action cause.  The second component is damages.  A court action will not be supported on the bad act alone... you also have to show the injury that it caused and why this evidence justifies the award of a certain amount.

As far as what to expect... just know that smalls claims tends to be much more informal.  You don't have to wear a three piece suit to present you case... you only have to have your eividence lined up and witnesses available.  Regardless of the informality... still show a basic respect to the court.   This would inlcuding standing wiht he judge enters. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.