small claims court

can i sue in small claims court for money thatmy insurance company will normally cover or am i restricted to only recover my deductible??

Asked on June 28, 2009 under Accident Law, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area of the law.  I presume that someone hit you and you want damges to your car.  You can seek the total amount of damages that were caused to the car.  That is what you are suposed to do.  This way, you will not have to make a claim and your insurance rate will not go up.  This will also get the other party's insurance carrier in the case to pay the claim to hopefully avoid having to engage in post judgment collection efforts if you are not paid after trial.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.