Slipped in kitchen at work. taken to hospital. concussion. continue to have severe headaches and issues with right eye. now have been let go from empl

i plan on seeing my own dr again this week but need to know what recourse is available as the slip and fall was due to unsafe conditions in kitchen

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Personal Injury, Oregon


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area of the law.  Workers comp is a no-fault system that compensated employees injured while at work.  If you fell at work, regardless of the conditions in the kitchen, you are most likely eligible under the worker's compensation act.  As for the course of action, you need to hire a lawyer immediately who practices in this area.  You ultimate disability that the doctor assigns you will govern the amount of payments and for how long you receive them from your employer.  Please note however, that there is no such thing as pain and suffering under the act.  Go see a lawyer that can help you file the right papers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.