Slipped and fell at HT injuring my back. HT will not respond to my emails or letters. Is there anything I can do to get reimbursed for medical expenses?

Slipped and fell on wet bricks in front of HT grocery
store. Filed complaint locally and no response. I
have tried calling and writing locally and at corporate
office, but no one will return my calls or emails

Asked on September 26, 2017 under Personal Injury, South Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You will need to obtain the name and address of the insurance carrier for the grocery store.  Notify that insurance carrier in writing of your personal injury claim.
When you complete your medical treatment and are released by the doctor or are declared by the doctor to be permanent and stationary, which means having reached a point in your medical treatment where no further improvement is anticipated, obtain your medical bills, medical reports and documentation of wage loss.  Your personal injury claim filed with the store's insurance carrier should include those items.
Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports document your injury and are used to determine compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.
If the case is settled with the store's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.
If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the store's insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit against the store based on premises liability.
If the case is NOT settled, your lawsuit against the store must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.
If you are unable to obtain the name and address of the insurance carrier as mentioned at the beginning of my answer, then just file your lawsuit against the store based on premises liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.