What to do if I want to sue for unfair collection practices?

About 6 months ago I had my wages garnished for a hospital debt. I did not contest and thought it was all settled. Then, about a week ago, I received another writ of garnishment for the same debt. I contacted the creditor and the collection firm, neither of which really asssited me. Now the creditor had the orginal garnishment in their possesion for 6 months.The collection saying they never got the first garnishment.

Asked on January 15, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a consumer law attorney about first making a demand for the improperly garnished wages or simply filing an unfair debt collection practice action against the company that improperly took wages from you. The summons and complaint would be issued in the county where the underlying judgment arose.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.