If a single mother died intestate and left one surviving adult child, how does he transfer real property in to his name?

Asked on March 30, 2015 under Estate Planning, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  You would need to apply to be the Persoanl Representative in the Mother's estate to the Probate Court in the county in which your Mother resided at the time of her death.  That is generally how it is done.  Once appointed you would execute an executor's deed to yourself.  Please speak with a mawyer in your area because some states allow what is known as an heir at law deed transfer with out having to go through probate.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.