Since my husband and I are amicably planning to divorce, can we hire just one lawyer to handle our affairs?

Asked on November 21, 2015 under Family Law, Connecticut


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your lawyer would have you each sign some significant waivers to do this and you will have a difficult time finding a lawyer to do this if you have children or significant assets. If you wish to split everything half and half and there is no issue as to support funds or child custody, then it may be simple enough to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.