What happens in a case of similar business name and service?

I own a photography business called Graham Photography Services, LLC. I got a call today from a gentleman stating he owned a photography business called Graham Photo / Video. He hinted that he won a case in the 80’s over this same issue, and never came right out and said “I’m going to sue you” but he did say “we have a problem” and hinted at litigation. He is a wedding photographer only, and I am an architectural and aerial photographer. He is also not listed as a business with the state so I assume he is a sole proprietor. Should I be worried?

Asked on July 31, 2010 under Business Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

So what he is claiming is infringement of some sort.  I am assuming that you share the same name.  Generally the test is whether or not the name will likely cause confusion amongst consumers.  There are specific distinctions that are too difficult to get in to here.  I can see that you have corporation status and he does not.  That may not be enough.  It is worrisome whenever anyone threatens your name and livelihood. You may want to consider distinguishing your businesses further by re-naming it "Graham Architectural and Ariel Photography, LLC."  The specificity can not mislead in any way.  No one will mistake you for a wedding photographer.  If you do not wish to do so then seek advice from a copyright attorney in your state.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.