Do I have any recourse after signing a contract for services in which fees are non-refundablebut I have not and will not receive any of those services?

The contract was signed on behalf of my child. It was for training/rehearsal for a talent showcase. My child got cold feet and couldn’t do it. She has no formal training whatever and I was only planning on signing her up for a limited program, but they talked me into a “master” program which costs a lot more. They already charged my credit card. I’ve been working with their reps but have been given the run around. What can I do?

Asked on September 2, 2011 under General Practice, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the service provider had breached or defaulted on the contract, you would be entitled to your money back--they cannot refuse to perform while also keeping you money. However, from what you write, it was you and your child who decided to pull out; when the customer pulls out from a contract, the provider is entitled to keep any deposits or other fees which the contract itself states that they may.

While you say you were "talked into" a more expensive or higher-level program than you needed, there is no law against being good sales reps. If they lied to you to get you to sign up, that would be different--that might give you grounds to rescind the contract. But if they were merely persuasive, then no.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.