Signed Document in language that i did not understand. Is that legal

My company made us sign document that was detailing my job responsibilities.
That document was written in English. Most of the employees are Polish and
Spanish speaking. There was no translator available. We were told if we don’t
sing we will be let go. This resulted in addition work for all of the employees.

Was that legal? We asked our manager who made us sing it to provide us with
copy of the document in his words ‘ the document is lost ‘ i feel there is
something not right with his answer.

What are my options? Is there anything i can do ?

Thank you,

Asked on September 15, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You don't have any options, based on what you write:
1) Employment in this nation is employment at will: there is no right to a job; an employer may terminate an employee at any time, for any reason; and employers set the terms or conditions of work. The employer can require you to sign documents or be let go; employees who are unwilling to sign have the right to seek other employment (that's the other side of "employment at will": employees who don't like something about a job may leave it at any time, and quiting a job where you are uncomfortable is the recourse employees have).
2) There is no obligation to provide translaters at work for employees.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.