Should we get an attorney for damages?

My wife was driving to work and a car T-boned her in the drivers side which spun her car into a 360. My wife was transported to the hospital by ambulance and she has severe neck and back pain. They did a CT scan that was negative but want us to follow up with a doctor for xrays and possible MRI if needed. The other driver was ticketed.

Asked on June 8, 2017 under Accident Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Are you intending to sue? If so, for more than a total of, say, $5,000 (between property damage, medical bills, lost wages [if any] and "pain and suffering" if your wife suffers long term impairment)? If so, retain an attorney to help you get as much as you can--as much as you deserve. 
If you are going to sue for less than $5,000, represent yourself--given typical legal fees, it's not cost effective to hire a lawyer for less than $5k.
If not planning on suing, only hire a lawyer if you are sued.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.