Should my wife expect jail time regarding embezzlement if this is her first offense?

My wife was a billing manager for a doctor’s office. There were several household financial emergencies that came up and instead of getting me involved (I travel out of town every week for work), she used office money to take care of it with the intention of paying it back when I got my bonus. Well, I never got my bonus. She tried to pay it back a little at a time but the pressure became to great for her to bare and she confessed to her employer and to me what she had done. She is suspended pending an investigation. We are terrified.What should we expect? Jail time? A repayment plan? Should we consult with a criminal law attorney? We’re in Baltimore County, MD.

Asked on October 26, 2011 under Criminal Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Embezzlement is a serious criminal offense. Typically such a charge is a felony where if convicted, the accused most likely will serve jail time, be required to reimburse the victim moneys taken as well as having to pay fines and attend classes.

The positive thing about what you have written is that your wife confessed to the wrongdoing to her employer and there have been no criminal charges filed yet. I recommend that your wife consult with a criminal defense attorney about the situation in the near future.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.