Should my fatherreimburse me formy college expenses since in the divorce papers it statesthat he was to havepaid them?

I have been out of college for a few years and have already paid my student loans in full. I didn’t know my father was supposed to pay my loans until now. Could I still go after these funds even though I already paid them and it’s been a few years since I have been out of school?

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Family Law, Massachusetts


Henry Lebensbaum / Law Office of Henry Lebensbaum

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The reimbursement is to your mother, and needs to be based on a court order.

If there is an unresolved obligation, your mother needs to bring this to court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.