Should I turn myself in to the police for a warrant?

I had a warrant issue 6 months ago. I had court and I left without saying anything to the court coordinator or my attorney since nobody told me anything. I left now I have a warrant. What should I do?

Asked on April 1, 2019 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

Your first contact should be with your attorney.  However, if your attorney is not responding, reach out to your bondsman or pre-trial services and explain the situation.  Often, if you turn yourself in with a good explanation, the court will re-instate your bond. 
If you do not have a bondsman and your attorney will still not respond, consider seeking a new attorney to help walk you through.  You can hire an attorney for the limited purpose just to help you with the bond issue.  I suggest this in the event that you have limited funds....use your current funds to resolve this issue and then keep the court appointed attorney for regular representation.  If you don't have any funds, then reach out to the court coordinator and seek their assistance in helping you connect with your court appointed attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.