Should I talk to police if they want to question me?

My ex-boyfriend was murdered. I was not there. I know nothing. We broke up a month before. Police questioned me in a recorded interview and now they are calling wanting to talk.what do I do?

Asked on October 16, 2017 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

This is potentially a very serious situation for you. Accordingly, you should not speak to the police without having a lawyer present. This is true even if they come to your house. The fact is that they are trained and experienced in getting people to make incriminating statements either about themselves or others. At this point, you need to consult immediately with a criminal law attorney in your area. they can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.