What happens if I submit a “Claim of Exemption and Financial Declaration” regarding a bank levy on my account?

I have a judgment against me from a credit card company and just had a bank levy placed on my accounts. The sheriff department says I have 15 days from that time to file the “Claim of Exemption and Financial Declaration”. Our income comes from owning a 1/4 of an apartment building and am concerned that the court may say sell it instead of agreeing that this is our income. We need it because i cannot work or get disability and my husband looks for work but is not hired due to criminal record (ex-felon on parole).

Asked on September 28, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I believe that it may be 10 days in California and not 15 days so hurry and file the form.  What happens is that you file the form giving your reasons as required therein as to real and personal property.  Then the form is filed and sent to the judgement creditor.  The judgement creditor then has the right to contest the claim of exemption within a certain period of time.  If they contest it within the specified time then a hearing is held as to the whether or not the property is exempt. The forms can be gotten through the Courts I believe.  So double check.  And try and speak with a credit counselor as well. Good luck.    

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.