Should I sign a waiver and release for severance pay?

I was given a 4 page Severance Plan waiver and release document in order to receive severance pay for separation due to my position at work being eliminated. In signing this paper I waive and release all claims of whatever nature that I may have , including claims I know about against the persons and organizations listed arising from employment or termination of that employment.Also in the letter it states I will not release any claims filed under any state’s workers compensation laws and prior to the date of my termination of employment or any State or local unemployment benefit claims.

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Without reading through the document itself, there's no way for any attorney to tell you whether or not you should sign this, and how it's going to be interpreted under Florida's law.  One place to find a lawyer in your area, who can help you with this, is our website,

I don't practice in your state, but unless you have a contract of employment, your employer doesn't need a reason to fire you, and you probably have no legal right to severance pay.  Without knowing more, it doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with signing this --  but what you've talked about in the question is just a small part of the picture.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.