Should I replace my green card before applying for citizenship?

I’m currently a permanent resident card holder
who is about to be in the US for 11 years. My
green card is about to expire in a year
however, I just found out that my ‘Resident
since’ date is my birthdate which is wrong
I’m doing my N-400 application right now, and I
don’t know which date to put when I became a
lawful permanent resident. Also, my green card
will be expiring in 1 year. Will there be a point
in applying for a green card replacement if it
will expiring in a year?

Asked on May 28, 2017 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you are now applying for your naturalization there is no reason to apply for a renewal of your green card since you do not need a green card if you will be a US citizen.  It is just an extra expense at this point and will essentially be invalidated as soon as you are granted citizenship.  As far as the discrepancy you can explain that on the N-400 application.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.