Should I pursue unpaid wages in court?

So in march of thus year I was let go by my employer and I have still not been paid my final paycheck of $300 for March 1st through 17th. I have made a case with LI but they say they can’t guarantee payment. Is this something that is worth pursuing in court or should I just let LI handle it? My employer has not responded to me or LI so far and she said she mailed my check on April 9th but was lying because I never received a check.

Asked on June 2, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

A good option may be to sue in small claims court, as your own attorney, or "pro se": that is a cost effective and fast (small claims court is much quicker than other courts) way to recover money. You would sue based on "breach of contract": on their violating the agreement (even if only an oral or unwritten one) between you pursuant to which you worked in exchange for pay. If you fulfilled your obligations--that is, you worked--they must full their obligations, and pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.